Pokémon - I Choose You! (Japanese: ポケモン！ きみにきめた！ Pokemon! Kimi ne Kimeta!) is the very first Pokémon episode of the Pokémon anime, which was first released on the Japanese broadcast on April 1, 1997 and in the US on September 8, 1998. In the US however, Battle Aboard the St. Anne was the first episode release on the US broadcast on September 7, 1998.
The opening of the episode starts as same as Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green Version. When Nidorino starts to attack Gengar, it turns out to be a real Pokémon Battle at the Pokémon League. The announcer at the Pokémon League said that Nidorino begins the match with a Horn Attack but it has no effect on Gengar. Gengar then uses his Hypnosis move to put Nidorino to sleep. The trainer withdraw Nidorino and sends out Onix which Onix starts to attack Gengar.
At Ash's room, Ash introducing himself saying that he is Ash. The narrator then introduce Ash saying that Ash Ketchum is a boy from Pallet Town. Ash says that he is finally 10 years old which he finally can get his Pokémon License. The narrator continues that ten year old will get a Starter Pokémon from Professor Oak, the town's Pokémon expert. Ash then declares that he will become a Pokémon Master, which being in his pose, his mother then came into the room shouting to Ash that he must go to bed. Ash threw by accident his alarm clock towards his mother which she catches it and tells him that it is already 11'o clock which he should be asleep. Ash then says that tomorrow, he will begin his Pokémon journey which he can't sleep due to excitement. His mother then tells him that, if he can't sleep than he should be ready for tomorrow which she starts to show him a channel about Professor Oak's study about the three starter Pokémon he is going to give away to Pokémon Trainers who are about to begin their journey. Ash mother then tells Ash that he must go to bed when the show is over and that he must change his clothes into his pajamas's.
Ash then sleeps but is dreaming about his upcoming starter Pokémon. He first dreamed about choosing a Bulbasaur, after that his alarm clock starts to fall down to his hand. He then dreamed about choosing a Squirtle which is shown that he have thrown his alarm clock saying "Choose it, or loose it".
The morning has arrived and Ash is still in his bed. He then dreamed about choosing a Charmander because he heard that it is the best Pokémon to choose. He then awakens when he was about to release Charmander from his Poké Ball which he shocked looking through the window seeing that it is already morning. In his pajama's he start running to Professor Oak's Lab were he crossed paths with Gary. Gary then mocks Ash that he must show some respect to him because he has his first Pokémon and Ash don't. Gary then promise the villagers of Pallet Town that he will become a Pokémon Master and will make the town Pallet Town name goes all around the world. Ash then asks Gary which Pokémon he has but Gary responds coldly to Ash that it is none of his business. If Ash has showed up earlier, he would see which Pokémon Gary have chosen. Gary then leaves Pallet Town which Ash is about to go to Professor Oak.
Professor Oak then appeared saying to Ash that he have finally showed up. Ash then tells Professor Oak that he is ready for his Pokémon, but for Professor Oak, Ash seems to be ready for his bed instead of obtaining a Pokémon. Ash then says that he has some trouble in the morning but he is ready to have his own Pokémon. At the lab, there are three Poké Balls which each one containing a starter Pokémon. Ash choice became Squirtle, but Professor Oak said that the Pokémon is already taken by someone who was on time. Ash then decided to choose for a Bulbasaur, which Professor Oak tells Ash that the Pokémon also has been taken by someone who wasn't late. Ash then decided to choose Charmander, which Professor Oak tells Ash; "The early bird gets the worm", which means if Ash wasn't too late for and showed up on time he should have his first Pokémon containing one of the three starter Pokémon. Ash then become sad asking Professor Oak if all Pokémon has been gone. Professor Oak responds saying that he has one Pokémon left which Ash wants to have that Pokémon. The Pokémon contains to be a Pikachu. Ash decided to take the Pokémon which he grabs him which Pikachu uses Thundershock. Professor Oak then gives Ash a PokéDex and six Poké Balls.
Outside, Ash's mother and her friends then bids Ash farewell, which turns out shocking after that his mother tells Ash that his first Pokémon looks a little weird. Professor Oak then gives Ash the advice to use the rubber gloves he got from his mother because rubber gloves if effective against electricity.
|Ash Ketchum||Delia Ketchum||Professor Oak||Gary Oak||Misty|
- Ash and Gary both started with the Pokémon journey.
- Ash starts his journey with a disobedient Pikachu.
- Gary starts his journey with a Squirtle.
- Ash meets Misty while fleeing from a group of Spearow.
- Ash steals Misty's bike, which has been destroyed after Pikachu uses Thundershock to get rid of the Spearow's.
- After that Ash prove his loyalty to Pikachu, Ash and Pikachu became friends.
- Ash sees a mysterious gold colored bird Pokémon.
- Ash has reached Viridian City.
On April 1, 2012, a remastered version of the episode has been showed on Pokémon Smash! to celebrate the fifteenth anniversary of the anime series. Known is that only the entire episode have been remastered which no appearance of the opening, ending and eyecatch haven't been shown.
- At the beginning of the episode, it has the same opening as Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green Version and also the sound effects have drawn inspiration from the video games. The scene appeared on the television of Ash in his bedroom. It was actually unknown were Nidorino and Gengar were fighting, which has been known later in Pokémon LeafGreen and FireRed that they were fighting in a forest, but not in a stadium.
- It can also be Bruno's first introduction to the series, but it is known that he didn't had a Onix before Ash started his journey.
- The Bruno-liked trainer threw with a green-top Poké Ball instead of the original red-top Poké Ball. It was implied that the green-topped Poké Ball may be a Poké Ball from the Safari Zone after knowing the green-topped Poké Ball containing the Tauros, Ash caught.
- When Ash and Gary meets each other again, Gary acts like the two have never met which Gary says to Ash: "Well, you must be Ash". It is known that the two have been knowing each other since childhood.
- Ash's his first choice was a Squirtle, but known much later in the series is that Gary was already ahead of him.
- This is the only episode that Pikachu came outside his own Poké Ball.
- This episode have revealed that Spearow's are seeing in black and white.
- The mysterious golden bird-like Pokémon contains to be the Legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh, which makes him the very first Pokémon from the Generation II series that makes a very early appearance in the series.
- When Professor Oak appeared on television by giving information about the three starter Pokémon, Bulbasaur have a green colored background which has been correctly showed, but that of Charmander and Squirtle, the two Pokémon have a wrong background color known that Charmander had a blue background color and Squirtle had a red background color.
- Delia gave Ash the same sneakers that Ash already was wearing.
- When Ash was running to Professor Oak's laboratory, the top button on Ash's pajama changed from green to yellow.
- After that each trainer picked up their starter Pokémon, the Poké Ball's should be with their trainers. When Ash was in the laboratory of Oak each three ball was empty which Oak stated by all three that they are taking by a trainer who are on time, anyways, the Poké Balls should not stay inside Professor Oak's laboratory.